Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lost in Bengaluru

(This blog article is from a set of mails that I sent to my gang. This is the first of the post dated 7 July '08)

Updates from Bengaluru. I have shifted and begun settling at my new place. Its located at a place called Airport Road in Bangu, very close to the erstwhile Bangalore Airport. The Airport shifted last month, but the place is still called Airport Road, of course. Although bus conductors and rickhshaw wallahs dutifully ask you if you want to go to the 'old' airport road or the new airport road, even though the new airport's road is not called airport road ... that is quite a tongue twister ...

My place is a 2BHK apartment, am sharing it with three others, so 2 of us share each room (kitchen and hall is common of course). Its a bit off the main road, so that cuts down the vehicular noise. Three noisy nosy kids stay in the neighbouring flat. The eldest of them keeps asking questions like "where is your office?", "where do you eat?", "do you cook at home?", "why isn't there any furniture in your house?" and so on. The place is sandwiched between 2 other buildings so there is not much of a view through any window :P ...

The first few days were a real pain. I was living out of a suitcase, for lack of a cupboard. Plus, there was no mattress to sleep on, so had to do with a makeshift arrangement of a blanket and a bedsheet piled on the other ... thankfully got a fat kurl-on like thing two days back so now can sleep well. The place gets quite cold at night ... I could hardly sleep the night before I joined, not because of any 'joining-jitters' but due to the cold floor and a bad mattress. Anyways, I got myself a cupboard on saturday so things are bit better now.

My work place is quite far from home (for lack of another word ... home is and always will be Mumbai). It takes about an hour to travel in regular traffic and no upper limit on time if it is bad rush which is common in Bangalore. Bangaloreans have no driving sense really, plus the traffic is mismanaged. I got a company bus pass on thursday which means I don't need to struggle in public buses but the time is still a problem. I leave at around 8:20am and am back at around 8:20 or so in the evenings.

Have some more things lined up this weekend ... have to figure out some stable arrangement for dinner, lunch happens in company itself but there is no good place to have dinner daily; and am fed up of rice-plates ... seriously. Am thinking of getting some sort of stove - electric, gas - so that I can atleast make tea, coffee, maggi (a single guy's best friend) when needed. Other things lined up are washing machine, fridge, TV ... sheesh, I can't tell you how much I miss my mom ;)

I might be taking a corporate Airtel card soon. A reason for that is, there is no hutch network almost anywhere in the office. Due to some weird stroke of luck, there is not much of a hutch network even at the place I stay. I sometimes have to go to the ground floor to make calls :D. If any of you manage to get through to my number when I am in the house then it'll be purely a luck thing :P

I have no internet connection at home yet, will take maybe another week to get that ... till then won't be online apart from office timings.

- big foot in Bengaluru


No comments: